Choosing the Right Liquid Soaps
Between all the different soaps available out there, how do you decide which one to buy?
The myriad of choices can seem daunting. "Should I get...":
- Something 'antibacterial' or 'moisturizing'?
- Hand, body or face soaps?
- 'Powerfully invigorating' scents or something more 'softly sensual'?
- And controversially, bar soap or liquid soap? (Tip: Despite the debate, both clean just as well!)
Regardless of your final choice, what matters is not the labelling on the outside but what is on the inside!
When Washing your Hands ...
It is common knowledge that washing your hands regularly is the best way to get rid of nasty germs.
But what may be less known is that 'antibacterial' soaps are not necessarily any better than your good old soap and water. Further, what one must know is that many soaps in the market contain potentially dangerous ingredients that should be avoided, such as:
1. Tricloscan – A chemical commonly used in synthetic antibacterial soaps is suspected of contributing to antimicrobial resistance.
2. SLS or Sodium lauryl sulphates – The chemical that causes foaming in synthetic soaps that has been found to cause skin irritation, organ toxicity, and even cellular changes at certain concentrations.
3. SLES or Sodium Laureth Ether Sulphate – A foaming agent that is a known skin irritant, that is easily contaminated with carcinogens during the its production.
4. Microbeads - These tiny pieces of plastic commonly found in personal care products (even some toothpastes contain these microbeads) have found their way into our food chain through consumption by fish and sea animals. The toxins absorbed by these plastics are then absorbed by the tissue of sea organisms.
Some Alternative Natural Ingredients
The commonly found ingredients in synthetic cleansers can easily be avoided by switching to natural, biodegradable alternatives such as:
A. Virgin Coconut Oil – Used for centuries in soap making, its natural microbial properties give liquid soaps made with coconut oil the ability to both moisturize and disinfect. Perfect for those with sensitive skin.
B. Peppermint & Eucalyptus Essential Oils - They possess antibacterial and antifungal properties with a natural scent that invigorates. Perfect on a hot day!
3. Castor Oil - Castor Oil contributes to foaming and is a good natural alternative to SLS. Oil cleansing dissolves and washes away old sebum and dirt, replacing it with new 'clean' oil to protect the skin.
Choosing liquid soaps made from natural ingredients will leave you with an experience free from unnecessary harsh chemicals, and artificial fragrances.
From fresh and energizing scents to subtle aromas, choosing such liquid soaps, such as Utama Spice’s liquid soaps, will leave you feeling good, inside and out!